Thursday, December 15, 2011

R.A.K.

I like the Christmas season. I like the festive decorations around the house and the laugh-filled get-togethers with family. I like the food {big surprise there!} and special Christmas goodies we make only during this time of the year. But I really like that boost in friendliness there seems to be. People take the time to think of other people besides themselves. People just seem to be a little bit more cheery in general. There seems to be more kindness.

In 4th grade we had this weekly project called Random Acts of Kindness. {I believe we called it R.A.K. because you know that abbreviated things are way cooler.} Each week we would have to do something nice for someone else out of the kindness of our hearts and write about what we did, how it made us feel, and if the person noticed or not. So being 4th graders we would do things like "I put my dirty clothes in the hamper without being asked" or "I let my sister use my favorite (insert toy/video game/sweater here)."  I know some of mine involved loading the dishwasher after supper or picking up the mess us kids made in the living room [You're welcome, Mom]. You could say hi and smile at the "weird kid" on the school bus or let your little brother play with you and your friends after school. Little things. The project helped us see that when you do good things for other people, you feel good in return.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people lived this philosophy year round; if everyone did tiny little things that didn't cost a cent, just to make someone else's day a little better?  Because it really is true: when you do something nice for someone else, you feel a little bit better about this world we live in. And I personally like knowing that there are lots of good people out there doing little things to make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.