Tuesday, February 14, 2012

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

February 14th .....   Valentine's Day....

Honestly, I'm just not that into it. Never have been. It's probably a bigger day for those people without valentines; an extra special day to remind them that they don't have a significant other to speak of. I know I probably seem particularly bitter or something - I'm not. I just don't buy into the commercial-ness of it. I would much rather receive flowers on a random Thursday than get them on Valentine's Day. {Not that I would protest or anything if I got some!}

Jared and I have been together for nearly 7 years now. Some days it seems like it was just yesterday and some days it feels like we have been married going on 60 years. {Married people: you know what I am talking about.} Love is different than it is in the beginning. It grows and changes like all of us. It isn't always about big grand gestures; it can just be the little things. Like sometimes Jared will write me a sweet note or letter and hide it in a drawer for me to find later. Or like when Avery was born, he skipped the flowers and went for what I really wanted: a Jones Bros cupcake.
{Man, just linking that made me hungry.}

Our's isn't the most typical of love stories... We knew of each other because we were in many of the same classes in college. I thought he was arrogant and a jerk. He thought I was annoying. [And I am sure there are people out there that would second those observations! And if you are agreeing, then why are you reading this blog again??]

 I digress... 

It wasn't until we were literally in a car driving to a funeral {¡que romantico!) that we began to really talk. and laugh. and laugh. and laugh. The conversation just flowed like we had been friends for years. Later that night we stayed up until the wee hours just talking. A friendship had bloomed. I woke up that next morning to find his arm wrapped around me in his sleep and I was excited. That was the first time it hit me: I think I like him

Six whirlwind weeks later I was filling out paperwork to transfer schools. I had been praying for months for an answer to why I had stayed at Briar Cliff (a very Catholic school that just didn't fit this liberal girl) and whether or not I should look to transfer. It was like a sign. A life preserver. I had my answer. My parents were wondering where their clear-headed, practical daughter had gone. Transferring schools?! Moving to Kansas?! I am sure many people thought it was crazy. I wondered too: Am I crazy?  Clearly in hindsight, the answer is a resounding YES. But it was the great kind of crazy. It was just crazy enough to lead me to the path I was supposed to be on. And I would go back and do it all over the exact same way.


 I would tell those 20 year-olds:


You're on the right track. The best is yet to come.


Jared -
I loved you then and I love you now. I couldn't have asked for a better partner to share this life with. I look forward to many more uneventful, boring Valentine's Days together.
                                                                                                          ♥ ♥ ♥  
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.