Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book It

The Hunger Games.
You need to read it. And then read the next two. Totally addicting. And hurry up and do it before the movie comes out later this month. And btw, I saw the extended trailer online... I will have to see it. And in-the-theaters-see-it, which is basically unheard of anymore in my child-filled world.

And while I am talking books, I have another recommendation for anyone reading this: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. A-mazing. It is a bit intimidating at 900+ pages (I know, I know...) but just trust me on this one. And don't judge it by its book jacket description either. I will admit when I first saw Jared reading it a few years back, I took one look at its description and its size and literally said, "Why in the hell are you reading that?" But after watching him blatantly ignore me for a week to read it, I figured it must be pretty good.

It's more than pretty good. It's great. I think it's safe to say it is my favorite book of all time. It's got all the components of a stellar book - mystery, love, drama, revenge, sex, killing (not necessarily all in that order) - against a backdrop of the 12th century and building of a cathedral. I have made lots of people read this book: my mom and sisters {excluding Felicia, seeing as the only book she has read in the last 10 years was Alan Iverson's biography...which I am sure was a work of literary genius...}, my grandma, some friends, and anyone else who would listen to me.

Ken Follett is also writing a 3-book series set from World War I to World War II called Fall of Giants. Only the first one has been released, but it is also a great book. Apparently I have become a bit of a Ken Follett fan, but anyone who can paint a descriptive picture in my mind of the building of a beautiful 12th century cathedral and a down-and-dirty sex scene gets the official Vanessa stamp of approval.

I love getting recommendations for good books.

[I used to trust Oprah and her book club, but then she recommended Jonathan Franzen's book Freedom... And for that I would love to request a refund. And I would also like those hours of my life back as well.] 

So if anyone reading has some good book recommendations, I would love to hear them! Just leave me a comment.  :)

4 comments:

  1. I would highly recommend "love, Rosie" (Rosie Dunne) by Cecelia Ahern. She also wrote P.S. I love you. I had read P.S. I love you before watching the movie and didn't think it was even close to being as good as the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Water for Elephants? I just started reading it but it's good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally thought this was going to be about free personal pan pizzas from Pizza Hut. But, I still enjoyed it. A great recent read I can recommend is Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Really interesting case studies about gut reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations! Shelby, I knew you would be the one to bring it back to the personal pan pizza. Right on.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.