Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Dad's Day

Happy Father's Day to my own baby daddy. 

 Jared - the man who is going to be really good at playing with dolls and hosting pretend tea parties someday.


I love to watch you chase our girls around the house while they run and scream with laughter.
I love how you read them books.
And sing songs.
And curl up on the couch to watch "toons" with Bailey.

It melts my heart to remember how they curled up to sleep on your chest when they were itty-bitty babies.

Thanks for being a good daddy.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

And to my own dad:
You have four daughters.
Basically you deserve a medal.

the original Ellis clan
{a few years and a few pounds ago!}

You have taken a lot of grief from us over the years, especially regarding your fashion sense (hiked up shorts and long white socks with sandals)or your infamous words that even the extended family has taken to quoting:
"You know my hole!"
"Junk has really gone up in value."
"I have a weak stream."
"Dar - short for Delvin."
"You know how to drive a truck with no brakes, right?"
And my cousin Alan's personal favorite: "Those kids were tubing down the river!"

Okay, so not funny to almost everyone else, but I am sure my family will have a laugh remembering all the random moments when these were blurted out. We always have a good laugh at the things he says {especially if he is not meaning to be funny}, but his comments live on: poor Bailey was lovingly called "Dar" in utero for a good 9 months.

Me and Dad  - June 2008

I will always love this picture. Not necessarily because it's some stunning piece of photography or anything, but because of the story it brings to mind...

We were standing in the stairwell of the church on my wedding day. The bridesmaids and groomsmen were taking their places and we were up next. My friend Holly had her camera and wanted to snap a quick picture before my dad walked me down the aisle. My dad was looking particularly nervous and almost uncomfortable.
Holly said my dad, "Jeff, what's the matter? Are you okay?"
To which he replied, "I've got the nervous farts!"

Seriously - who mentions farts seconds before walking his daughter down the aisle?! All three of us cracked up. We had a good laugh and it made walking in front of all those people a little easier.

Thank you Dad for all that you have done for all 4 of your girls. Thank you, not only for the laughs, but for our heated discussions [or arguments as Mom would call them] and the ability to let us be our own people. Thanks for being the dad who played with us in the pool, took us rollerskating every winter, and taught us the value of a hard day's work.

I love you. Happy Father's Day, Dad.


3 comments:

  1. Even out of context, I just laughed out loud at those quotes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Catrina! Thanks, dad, for everything. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.