Tuesday, November 6, 2012

36 weeks ... and a little pissed

Only three weeks left.
 
My doctor has agreed {with some strong persuasion from my endocrinologist} to deliver Baby by November 27th.
[It's pretty established procedure for diabetics to deliver by 39 weeks because the placenta ages faster in Type 1 diabetics.]


Now to get to the "pissed" portion of my title...
 
So yesterday I go in for another non-stress test. No big deal. They also started doing ultrasound measurements of my amniotic fluid - probably because last week I asked why they didn't do them, especially since my doctors in Omaha stressed their importance. {So apparently they decided to start just because I asked? Whatever.}

So I am laying on the table, chit-chatting while he takes all the measurements. It's literally just a little one minute long scan. Not checking anything about baby - just fluid.

Then out of the blue my doctor says, "Good news, it's still a  ______."
I literally sat upright and said, "WHAT?!"

He sputtered a bit and tried to cover his mistake, but his poker face needs some serious work.

I replied, "Did you seriously just tell me the sex of my baby?!"

He scrolls up on the screen a bit and points to Baby's genitals for further clarification - which seriously, I can't ever tell, so this wasn't helping in the slightest.

Then he says, "Oops. I thought you already knew."

Umm... no. I didn't know, asshole. But thanks for not even bothering to apologize.

We seriously waited for 9 months, and I find out randomly on an exam table - by myself - with only 3 weeks left to go?!  This seems unfair.
Every ultrasound I have ever had including ones that my doctor himself has done, I always say, "We don't know the sex, so don't tell me." I didn't this time because there was no reason for him to even mention it. Plus I had already told him at both ultrasounds last week.
Ahhhh! It's so infuriating.

It was sort of a shock to hear the news without expecting it. I was in a sort of daze as I left the office. By the time I got home, I was just upset. And I will admit it, I shed some tears over it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not upset over the sex of the baby.
I honestly didn't care one way or the other.
 
I am upset because this is - in all reality - our last child.
And I really wanted one last surprise baby.
I wanted to have that extra motivation during delivery.
I wanted to hear Jared announce, "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!"
I liked the suspense of wondering what Baby would be.
I didn't want to know.

But now we do..
And picking names just got a little bit easier.


***
Side note:
 
Lesson Learned : Trust your instincts.

My first impression of my OB wasn't a very good one.
But with being high-risk, I felt I didn't have many choices. I should have cut and run right away. Plus any doctor who tells you to your face that he thought you were a "train wreck" probably isn't going to be your best bet. But by the time I was completely fed up, I was 30 weeks pregnant and it was a little late in the game.

As Jared put it:
If we ever decide to have another kid, this douche is definitely not getting our repeat business.
Amen.

1 comment:

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.