Tuesday, July 9, 2013

re-com-mit-ting: to commit again

A few months back I committed myself to working out and eating healthier. (First post here) I worked out five or six days a week. I did so-so at cutting out bad foods. But I stuck with it for a full month and lost a few pounds.
Then I had knee surgery.
So I stopped doing the workouts I had begun to actually enjoy. And that damn knee hurt for at least 6 weeks if I did anything more than walk at a steady pace. In fact, it hurt up until a few weeks ago. I know that I should have been doing upper body workouts in the meantime, but that didn't happen.
I essentially fell off the weight loss wagon.

Just a few weeks ago I was flipping through a magazine and saw a feature about different ways people lost weight and got healthy. Usually I avoid these segments like the plague because these women's start weights are more like my goal weight. But one of the women got healthy while breastfeeding which peaked my attention. And she did it using a modified South Beach diet.

I have always lumped South Beach in with Atkins. To me, it doesn't seem healthy to cut out all kinds of foods to drop a large amount of weight quickly. That was my main issue when Jared did Atkins: you can eat all the bacon and cheese you want but you can't eat a carrot??
So I did a little research about the differences. To me it seems South Beach focuses on lean meats and healthier eating in general. Yes, they both have beginning phases where more foods are restricted, but overall South Beach seemed more appealing.

But as a breastfeeding mama, I needed to modify the diet and start with Phase 2. Phase 2 allows two (or more) servings of whole wheat carbs a day as well as healthy yogurts and cheeses. I can eat any fruit or vegetable I like, with the exception of corn and potatoes.  And because of the breastfeeding, I can drink three servings of milk every day.
There is honestly no way I would have considered this "diet" without the milk. I simply cannot give it up. And milk substitutes are no where near acceptable in my book.
I also aim to drink 80 to 100 ounces of water every day along with my three cups of milk.

And I use the term "diet" very loosely. I don't feel like it is a diet really. I still get to eat normal, healthy meals - I just substitute in healthier alternatives like whole wheat tortillas and pasta. And by following the rules of the diet, I keep myself away from the slippery slope that is sweets... I can't have just one of something. I love chocolate and cake and candy. A couple M&Ms turns into a handful, which turns into a handful more than once a day!

Along with changing my eating, I have been exercising again. I am not trying to do a strenuous workout every day.
I know that isn't practical.
I have been aiming for three or four times a week for at least 20 minutes. I find that I like videos that incorporate High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT. It gets my heart rate up and gets me moving, but doesn't tire the same area of the body over and over. You work one area hard for a short interval and then you switch. It also involves weights so that you're toning more muscles and burning more calories than you would doing just the exercise alone.

I have also been trying to do other normal exercise, like walks pushing the stroller or mowing the lawn. I have never loved to mow, but it is a great way to get out of the house and away from my children for a good hour. And Jared can't complain because I am actually helping take something off his plate.
(Little does he know I am looking forward to it!) 
It is sad that mowing the lawn is something of a break, but it's one of the only opportunities I have to truly zone out and jam to some tunes.

I have been doing this for almost two weeks now. Between the diet and working out (and switching to a non-hormonal form of birth control), I have lost between 7 and 8 pounds.
That puts me just 11 pounds away from my pre-Bailey baby weight.
With weight loss milk supply can suffer, so I have been very cautious, but it appears to be unaffected.
I am happy with the progress so far and the fact that I feel like I am eating healthier, not just "going on a diet." I know I will have times when I want to splurge - just like I did on the 4th of July - and that is okay. It's about getting healthier, not restricting myself.

But the worst part about weight loss:
I am pretty sure I have lost it all from my boobs.
Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.