Thursday, August 15, 2013

college roomies reunite!

Back in 2005, I transferred colleges from my current one in Iowa to Fort Hays State University in Kansas. (Best decision EVER, but I digress...)
I was a junior and didn't know a soul but Jared. Jared had his own apartment off campus. I wanted to meet people, plus I wasn't able to travel the seven hours to apartment search, so I got a dorm room on campus. This could have been a big disaster, but it was a blessing instead.

I had been paired with a roommate. The smallest room in an entire dorm filled with single-only rooms and I had a roommate. Her name was Kate Clifton. I don't know if it was luck or fate or whatever, but thank God for Kate. We meshed instantly. Life was good in our cramped little room.

Our first weekend on campus
 
We both were looking for the "college experience" - a.k.a. wanting to make new friends and find as many house parties as possible. We regularly trolled around the dorms looking for open doors and opportunities to meet people. We were largely unsuccessful except for the open door we found at a dead end in the basement of our dorm. Those two guys playing guitar and video games ended up being Kate's housemates once I moved in with Jared.

We attended many a house party together.
 
We were both nerdy and listened to songs from our favorite Disney movies, having sing-alongs in the showers. I introduced Kate to country music and how to successfully squat to pee when no bathroom was available (a very useful life skill!) and she introduced me to Team America and was pretty amazing at getting us invites to parties.
 
We attended Ladies' Fair for the free drinks every year.
 
We watched every episode of every season of Sex & the City together. And we made cosmos in our dorm room while watching said episodes. We stayed up late talking most nights. We also took the classiest of pictures at our classiest moments. (obviously.)


 
We had our share of fun moments even when we didn't live together anymore. Jared and I would go to their house to play drinking games or watch our weekly episodes of Nip/Tuck. We drank way too much tequila together and spent a night sleeping together in her bathroom. We took random trips to Pizza Hut for their lunch buffet (known as PHB in our lingo) where Kate would take home a couple pieces of pepperoni pizza in her Ziploc-lined purse. There were shopping trips to the mall in Hays where we would load up on $2 shirts and cheap necklaces, most of which were usually broken on the dance floor later that night.
 
Kate and Jared were good friends too. He knows just as much about her as I do - probably more since he has the better memory! She got to know my friends from Iowa and fit into the group seamlessly. We had a blast together at our joint bachelor/bachelorette party in Kansas City, even if we did forget her at a bar and she had to beg a ride back to the hotel. (Sorry Kate!)
 
Our last weekend in Hays together was pretty epic too. She was my wingman when I punched a guy in the face on a bus for talking smack to us. There is no one else I would want to run from the cops with. :) 
 
 
Kate always listened after Jared and I had a fight. I held her hair more times than I can count. And even though there were times we didn't see each other much, we were there for each other when the other needed a friend. We made a lot of great memories together during my time in Hays, Kansas.
Sadly, we have only seen each other once in the last 5 years - at the Herndon Ox Roast in 2010.


And while this is far from a good picture of us, it is probably my best memory:
dancing in the street, beers in hand, in the pouring rain until 4 o'clock in the morning. 
Best. Night. Ever.

And now my dear friend Kate is coming from Colorado to visit this weekend.
Eeek!
I am so excited I could pee!
I can't wait for her to get here. We have so much catching up to do!
 



2 comments:

  1. This is the BEST!!! I remember going to one of the Ladies Fairs and seeing ya'll (TOO MUCH WINE there) and then partying out in the town. I even went to a party at her house once. I can't believe I remember that?? Justin thought Kate was pretty damn cool!

    I'm excited for ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was your time with Kate? I am amazed to see you went to, and met, at Fort Hays State too! There were five of us roomies. A few years ago one died. The remaining four decided to get together every year...while we can! We met at Hays 44 years ago. Now two live in the midwest, one on the east coast, and one out west. I just returned from our annual roomies reunion weekend. It is wonderful to catch up and we laugh till we ache. The.best.time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.