Friday, March 28, 2014

5 on Friday

1.
As I said in a recent post, I gave up Facebook. Not gave it up for Lent or something. Just gave it up. And I have to say it's been a great decision. It took a couple days to get past the initial itching-to-log-in-when-bored phase, but now Facebook just doesn't even cross my mind.

It is helpful that Jared still has it. We have quite a few of the same friends so he updates me when something major has been shared online. Other than that, I am glad to be missing out on it all. I never thought I would say that. I always thought it was sort of different when people refused to be a part of the Facebook world, but now I totally get it.

2. 
I departed the Facebook world just to enter the world of tweeting.
I know, I know.
But I spend all of one minute a day on Twitter. Mostly it allows me to blow off parental steam in a social media kind of way.

Plus I have zero idea how to manage it anyway. I followed a couple of people and now I am annoyed by their five bajilion retweets a day, but I have no clue how to unfollow them. And I also have little interest in really figuring it all out, so here I am. With a total of maybe four tweets ever.


3.
I have been in a reading kind of mood lately. I love to read but sometimes just don't make the time. Or I have so many books on my list, I don't even know where to start. Since I take the kids to story time at our library a couple times a month, I have no excuse not to ask our local librarian for her recommendations. We chat about books frequently and we seem to have similar taste. So she has pulled a few of her favorites and basically made me check them out.

Right now I am reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

It's a different kind of book, about a girl/woman that keeps dying and being reborn, living her life over and over until she gets it right. I am maybe a third of the way through it right now and like it so far.


4.
We are all getting a little stir crazy around here. I am tired of snow and temps in the 20s. It's time for some legit spring weather.
So when the temperature cracks 50ยบ we all behave like it's a heat wave. We get out the stroller and bike and head outside for a walk. Bailey started riding her bike at the end of last summer. She does pretty well despite our long pothole-filled driveway.

As a kid I didn't ride bikes much. We lived out in the country on a gravel road so biking wasn't much fun. My sisters and I opted instead for go-carts, 4-wheelers, and mopeds. So the fundamentals of bike safety weren't on the forefront of my mind. Jared took care of that.
Bailey's new bike helmet arrived this week. And while Bailey protested it at first, she quickly gave in when she saw Daddy has one too.
We are hoping the weather warms up and stays that way soon.
 But in the meantime, I am looking forward to...

5.
...Our sister weekend!
Last year I met up with my three sisters, used up a free-stay hotel voucher, and spent 24 hours shopping, eating, and drinking.
This year we thought it would be fun to repeat last year's idea. So I booked a nice hotel suite on Priceline and we are all set to meet up this Sunday.
And as you can see from the picture above:
No kids.
No husband.
No responsibilities....
*Heaven*

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa, you just gave me the best idea ever! I want to do a sister weekend lol. I have three sisters too (and a brother, though I'm sure he'll pass haha) and it'd be so fun to book a hotel for the weekend with them. I haven't taken a non-kid vacation (or lots of vacations, to begin with) in a long time, so this would be awesome.

    And how brave of you to ditch Facebook! Honestly sometimes social media can get overwhelming. I don't have a personal Twitter account, just Facebook, and even that I try to keep pretty small (no thousands of friends for me!). For my blog though I have all sorts of social media platforms and it starts to feel overwhelming that I have to not look at them after a while haha. The newest one I tried is Google Plus and it's fast becoming a favorite. I love the interface and it doesn't seem so clunky to move around.

    And that's awesome you're squeezing in some time to read. It's one of my hobbies and I feel "empty" when I don't have a book to read haha. I just read "All Joy and No Fun" and "Dinner: A Love Story." As far as fiction, I just read and really liked "Americanah."

    I hope you're having a wonderful weekend thus far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I inspired you to do a sister (sibling?) weekend! It started really randomly for us, but now I think it is something we will do every year. It really was a blast. You should totally do it! Plus when you all double up and bunk four in a room, it makes it even cheaper and allows more money to be spent shopping. :)

      I have Google Plus (I think....?) but I don't actually know anyone who uses it. So therefore I don't really know how to use it! Maybe that is a good thing. Ditching Facebook felt like a daring move at the time, but now it's a non-issue. I don't know if it will always be this way, but I am totally fine not knowing what my 600+ "friends" are doing on an hourly basis.

      Speaking of books, do you have an all-time favorite you would recommend? I always love reading something new I wouldn't have discovered on my own.

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.