Friday, June 6, 2014

Five on Friday

1.
Tomorrow is our 6th wedding anniversary. 
We aren't huge into presents (correction: I am not huge into presents); we prefer to go the experience route. I would much rather go do something or go somewhere new than get a pair of earrings. My parents volunteered to watch the kids overnight so that we can get away and go do that something new. I have been looking forward to it all week!

2.
My newest addiction:
It's a TV show about exactly what you are thinking it is about. It's on Showtime so it is naturally racy, but after the first episode or so it settles down... a bit. It isn't just smut though - there are complex characters and story lines that keep you wanting to watch the next episode. But let's be honest, there ain't nothin' wrong with a little smut. 
Bonus: it is set in the 1950s, so that always adds an interesting dynamic - the hair, the clothes, the gender inequality...

And in case you are wondering, no, we do not get Showtime. In fact our cable package costs about 20 bucks and all winter I hear my sisters whine during their visits about how we don't even get ESPN. We use an amazing little site called CouchTuner and it is awesome. You can thank me later.

3.
From smut to the anti-smut...
I have been in a classic book reading mood lately. I have zero idea how I graduated high school having read hardly any classic novels, especially since I love to read and was in an English lit class every semester. I was forced to read Beowulf (shoot me now), but never picked up a copy of The Great Gatsby or The Grapes of Wrath.

In the past month I finished both of those books. I felt like I needed to read them. 
I need to be able to answer those Jeopardy questions! 
No, but really. 
I am glad I read them. And maybe it is a good thing that I am reading them now instead of 12 or more years ago. I don't know if I could have appreciated them fully as a teenager. Both books had excerpts where I got caught up in the writing, reflecting about life. I think that those parts would have sailed right over my clueless teenage head.

Next up, an Agatha Christie classic: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
I have heard it referred to as one of the greatest mystery novels of all-time. I am looking forward to reading my first Christie novel.

4.
Random outdoor photos




5.
That's it, folks. 
My uneventful life is tapped out at 4 subjects this week. I am off to sneak in an episode of my aforementioned guilty pleasure while Jared is out drinking a beer with our neighbors. 

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary Vanessa! I'm like you—I'm more the experience gift person. My husband and I usually treat ourselves to a nice dinner or outing for our anniversary instead of the usual gift route.

    And yes, both those books are great, though I prefer Grapes of Wrath over Gatsby. I have a leather-bound copy of Grapes of Wrath at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We had a great time - just blogged about it actually. :) We did the expensive dinner route last year, so we opted for the outing this year instead.

      I also preferred "Grapes of Wrath." I actually picked it up after reading a blog you wrote containing a reference to it. I realized that I wanted to be able to know what people are talking about when they reference a well-known book - both Gatsby and Grapes.
      Do you have any other classic books that you really like?
      One of my favorites is "Jane Eyre" - which I read in high school and hated until I was almost 3/4 of the way through - then I was completely hooked.

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.