Thursday, August 7, 2014

At Long Last! Premiering in two days...

Those of you who know me personally have had to put up with my pushy book recommendations for years. One of my favorites is the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. I got completely hooked when I was pregnant with Graham and devoured all seven books within a couple months. (And they are mammoth books. We are talking like 800, 900 pages each.) 
I talked both my mom and sister Catrina into reading the first one, but they didn't read any more and therefore did not become as obsessed as me. 
Obsession seemed to take over at book 3 I believe...

I am not going to even attempt to summarize the books because summaries just end up sounding cheesy and cheesy they are not.

Last year it was announced that filming had begun for an Outlander TV series.
Total excitement on my end.

And it premieres tomorrow night on Starz.


Now, we don't even get Starz. 
In truth we don't even get more than the most basic of basic cable.
BUT, we do utilize this amazing little site called Couch Tuner and it is AWESOME. Every current television show is on there. 
And did I mention it is free? 
Yep, 100% free with zero sign-up crap. Just click on it and watch. 
Amazing.

So yeah, I will be checking this out. Pronto.
I admit I have high hopes. The sneak peaks look great, and it is getting good buzz from multiple places. 

I am hoping it is on par with Game of Thrones (I know, I know, but I did say my hopes are high). It isn't main stream network TV, so they can actually do justice to the more racy parts (read: smut for ladies and brutal killing for the guys) of the books. Plus the author is overseeing everything about the series, so it is true to the books. 

I am hoping Jared might even give it a chance and watch the first few episodes at least. Buzzfeed even claims that men will like it (article here) and we all know they're always right, right? Okay, well at least I hope so in this instance.

At any rate, I am hopefully optimistic. 
Bring on the Scottish accents and the kilts, Starz! 
It's about time I learned how to pronounce sassenach properly.

4 comments:

  1. This is the first I've heard of this! I've added the book to my list. Hopefully I'll also get obsessed and we can talk shop ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of them either. It's largely been a word-of-mouth series. The first book came out in the early 1990s. I got the recommendation from a baby board group during one of my pregnancies. About 40 different women said it was their favorite book(s) so I decided to give it a try. It's one of those where you could read the first book and be done, read the first three and be done, or read the entire series. I would be very happy to talk shop if you do read it though! :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm- I'm intrigued, too! I might have to check it out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all new to me, too! I'm half afraid to start the series because I too tend to get hooked and then do nothing but read, read, read until I finish the whole series. But that's probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.