Thursday, August 28, 2014

First day of preschool x 2

Today marked the first day of the school year - well, for preschoolers at least.

Which means it was Avery's first day of school ever

We bought school supplies a couple of weeks back and visited the girls' classrooms last week, but it was all very real this morning as Avery slid her Hello Kitty backpack over her shoulders and sashayed around with the importance of a 3 year-old about to do really impressive things. {Like painting with actual paint and sitting properly on alphabet-themed carpet.}

It was raining pretty heavily out all morning, so we didn't get the traditional on-the-stoop and in-front-of-the-school photos. We did a pretty rushed and overly unamazing in-front-of-the-lockers photo though.

Along with these other gems.

 And one of Avery giving the steal sign for the Yankees...?

Bailey was excited for school. She has been counting down the days all week. She bounced into her classroom and got into the swing of things in no time.
Doesn't she look so grown up standing there?!
(Please allow me this one where did my baby go?! moment.)

Avery is usually our slow-to-warm-up child. {She didn't let her own grandfather hold her without screaming until she was 11 months old.} We weren't entirely sure how it was all going to go down. Thankfully for all of us she took a seat next to my friend Holly's daughter and just started coloring. 
That easy.

She wasn't timid at all and seemed already at ease in the classroom. 
We said our goodbyes and drug her brother out of the room. He had already taken a seat at the table and helped himself to some markers and a picture of a school bus.

Speaking of Graham, he didn't mind his sisters' absence one bit. 
It's amazing how much quieter it is with only one child - especially one child that doesn't say more than one or two words at a time. 
Not surprisingly he put one of his favorite words to use: cookie.
And since it was just Mama and Graham, I obliged.


We spent almost 3 exciting hours by ourselves, playing cars, doing dishes, running errands. Okay, so I lied - not exciting in the least, but there was no yelling or pinching or fighting over a jump rope, so it was a morning of luxury. 

Graham and I went to pick up the girls when school was over, and while he didn't miss them at home, he ran to greet them down the hallway like an airport scene straight out of a cheesy romantic comedy. Both Bailey and Avery ran to greet us and were excitedly telling us all sorts of preschool-ish details.
Avery's teacher even approached me to say, "I just LOVE her. She was singing and dancing and entertaining everyone." 

Which is great, because Avery is not Bailey's twin when it comes to rule-following and showing self-restraint. To put it mildly, Avery is our spitfire. Apparently Avery's teacher wanted to reassure me that our sometimes little hellion was in fact a sweet, entertaining little girl today. **Fingers crossed that it wasn't a one-time fluke**

And after an early start to a morning full of exciting new things, everyone was in bed (and actually asleep) early tonight. 
Hooray for peace and quiet!

4 comments:

  1. I just can't believe how fast they are growing up! School is so exciting as a little kid! I am so glad they seem to like it - as their overprotective auntie (that happens to be a teacher) I am just so happy! :) Can't wait until I can bombard them with fun activities when they become a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw congrats on a successful first day of school! It's crazy how grown up kids can look. I had the same feeling when mine went this week, and yeah he's the eldest and I still can't believe it's been that long ago when I first became a parent. Then I look at the younger ones and think, Well at least they still have some growing up to do lol.

    That's hilarious he said 'cookie.' Hehe plus I'm sure he loves his mommy one-on-one time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the first day went well - both for the kiddos and for mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the pictures! Might not be what you had in mind, but they are PERFECT! And I agree, Bailey looks so grown up. Her hair so neatly styled with that long skirt ... what the heck?! The years truly do go fast. So glad Avery meshed right in there. I hope that's continued. She had a big sister to show her the way which is always helpful. Oh, and I just love both their pretty little nails -- prissy and cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.