Sunday, August 24, 2014

Unrevealed until its season

For me the best part of church is the music. Music speaks to me. The flowing notes and the familiar words. All the voices joining together as one. It's comforting. 

In middle school during particularly boring {at least to me} sermons I would browse through the hymnal, locating my favorites. I would hum the tunes in my head, memorizing the page numbers in preparation for the next time the pastor would ask for hymn requests.  

The Hymn of Promise has always been my all-time favorite. 
So much so that my own family could probably tell you its page number (707, just FYI) and if it is not sung at my funeral some day, my spirit self is gonna be irate.
There are lots of oldies that everyone knows, and I love them too, but this particular one always speaks to me. 
It's a song of promise as the title indicates. 
God's promises. 
Promises that spring will come again, 
that a dawn follows every darkness, 
that our suffering has an end. 

In the bulb there is a flower; in the seed, an apple tree;
In cocoons, a hidden promise: butterflies will soon be free!
In the cold and snow of winter there's a spring that waits to be,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

There's a song in every silence, seeking word and melody;
There's a damn in every darkness, bringing hope to you and me.
From the past will come the future; what it holds a mystery,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

In our end is our beginning; in our time, infinity;
In our doubt there is believing; in our life, eternity,
In our death, a resurrection; at the last, a victory,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.


I'm not a big lullaby singer. 
Rock-a-bye Baby has always seemed a bit bizarre.
("...And down will come baby, cradle and all." Seriously? Why do we sing this song to babies again?)
When at a loss of a song to sing to an upset infant Bailey in need of comforting, I chose at random "Edelweiss" from the Sound of Music. And I still sing it. It's part of the bedtime routine. I think we all just think it's a lullaby at this point.

One night a few weeks ago the girls requested a new song. I racked my brain for songs I know by heart. And Hymn of Promise came to mind. Apparently the girls love it just like their mama because a few days later Avery was adamant that I sing her the "hippopotamus song" before her nap. It took a full five minutes before I realized that "hippopotamus" equaled Hymn of Promise in toddler-speak.


I love church music and lyrics so much that I fell in love when I saw this sign on Etsy. 

Isn't it pretty? 
If I could justify the money, I would be ordering one of these suckers for my wall tomorrow. Customized with my favorite hymn of course. :)
(*hint hint* Birthday gift, Jared!)
After all, we do have a new vintage dining room buffet to decorate around. {Hopefully more coming soon on that in a future post!}

1 comment:

  1. I too love certain hymns -- always have. Maybe its because we were immersed in them from childhood (thank you good parents) but I'm thankful they are stored away in my heart because they always come to the surface when I need them most. Of course when they do surface, they are typically followed with either tears or joy ... but nevertheless, very powerful.

    Now your own children are reaping the benefit. They have such an excellent mommy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.