Umm.... Make that about 3 hours.
My water broke not even half an hour after I laid down. {And when I say "it broke" I mean it broke! This wasn't a trickle; it was like someone popped a water balloon on top of me...} It happened so fast and so completely that I screamed and jumped out of bed as fast as any large pregnant woman can. Poor Jared was a little shocked but he composed himself quickly. We randomly threw things in a bag (lesson learned: pack early) and drove to the hospital.
At 2:21 AM, our little breech baby entered the world via c-section. And I know it sounds cliché, but our lives changed permanently in the wee hours of February 19th, 2010. (Granted, I couldn't really tell until about 24 hours later when the morphine cloud cleared, but I do know it happened!)
Bailey has taught us a lot about parenting and love and life in general.
Jared has developed 10 times more patience than I ever thought he was capable of [Hello ADHD]. And I have surprised myself, too. I more easily let go of the little things that don't matter and try not to worry about what I cannot control.
And because of Bailey we know just how wonderful a kiss from your child feels and exactly how embarrassing a temper-tantrum meltdown is in front of strangers. We know how hard it is to watch your baby be wheeled away into surgery and how funny a poop explosion is after the clean-up (and fyi: it can be extra funny if it ends up on a germaphobic relative.)
It's amazing how much a person can learn in just two short years...
Thank you, Bailey, for all that you have taught us.
Happy birthday, Bailey-boo!
ReplyDeleteIs it wrong that I think blowouts are funny even *during* cleanup? Perhaps it is the horrified look on Jon's face, but I kind of heart it when Soph fills her suit...