Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February this and that

The book nerd in me is coming out a bit again lately. 
I've always loved to read, but sometimes after I finish a book, I get in this weird slump where I am lazy and don't want to start another one. But the good news is that our local library (which is awesome, by the way) has about 15 of the 30-ish books in my current to-read list on Goodreads, so I have zero excuse to not be reading.

I most recently finished Yes Please by Amy Poehler. 

I'd heard a lot of rave reviews about it. Lots of "empowering to women" comments, that kind of thing. Jared downloaded it to his tablet and read it thinking it would be funny. He's always thought Amy Poehler was hilarious. So when he told me he didn't like it, I was thinking maybe it was too much "girl power!" or she referenced her monthly flow a couple times or something. So I picked it up at the library and read it anyway.
The following sentence sums up my feelings:
Meh.

That's my official book review. 

It wasn't really funny. 
Yes, I laughed a few times because I think the woman could rewrite the dictionary and still make it funny, but it wasn't a funny book. There were too many parts that I was like, "Yep, don't care." "Yep, still don't care." *skimming. skimming. skimming*

A whole chapter on her drug use. 
As someone who has never done a single illegal drug, this was interesting for a few pages, but it started to give that feeling you get when you're stuck talking to a 19 year-old, and all they can talk about is how awesome some party was last weekend. And how many people were there. And oh man, how drunk everyone was. 
And you're standing there, glazing over, trying to pretend to give a shit. 
And it seems like no one is ever going to come save you from this tedious conversation. 
That was my feeling during parts of the book. 
So in total, I don't recommend. 
Also, it's a memoir, so please write something we can't learn from reading your Wikipedia entry.


This past Sunday was the Super Bowl. Despite the fact that I have always despised the Patriots and don't give a flip about the Seahawks either, we watched. We always watch. As a football fan, it's what you do.
Oh, that and we always eat snacks.

Our kids thought it was the coolest thing ever that they didn't have to eat at the dining room table. 
A table? 
Filled with snacks?
In the living room?
While we watch TV?!
It was apparently special in the world of toddlers and preschoolers. 

It was a great game, even though I did lose the family pool to Justy.

Let's see. What else is new? 
What else... what else...

Oh, I've been obsessively reading reviews for our vacation to Puerto Vallarta in March. I am jotting down notes of people's tips on restaurants and tours and how to go bars at night without risking our safety. I realize this might be borderline obsessive, but since we haven't gone on vacation in forever, I want to make this the best vacation possible. 
Also, I bought a bathing suit.
Annnnnd it has two pieces. Eek! 
I feel okay about it. 
Wait, can black still be slimming even if your stomach is showing???

And speaking of my stomach, I am only showing you this photo because I am proud of where I've come in the last few months. And I know I posted it on instagram, but since I have like 12 followers on there, I am posting here too. Deal with it. 
Those are my shorts from this past summer, I was still wearing them in August. I can't even keep them up at this point - they slide straight down. I'm excited to need to buy a new pair of shorts for vacation. 

I know some people losing weight take all kinds of progress photos, and I can see why. It's motivating to see the loss. You see the scale number decreasing, and you feel yourself getting stronger, but it takes your brain a while to catch up. Seeing it in a photo helps.

What else...?

Lots of snuggles. With blankets. And books.
It is so freakin' cold outside. 
And even if I did want to throw them outside in the snow for a few minutes, Avery is currently minus one snow boot. I can't find that sucker anywhere.
(Maybe I should check in the magical drawer that Blankie always disappears into...)

I am currently reading a book that is nearly 20 years old.
It was an Oprah book club selection back in the day. 
This could be good or bad.
Oprah has done right by me (Pillars of the Earth), and she's also done me so, so wrong (Freedom).

In all honesty, I started this book almost 2 months ago. It didn't catch my attention right off the bat, and I just wasn't in the mood for it, and I read another book in the middle of it. I was about to quit altogether, but then I read some reviews on Goodreads and felt like thousands of people couldn't call it their favorite book ever and it be absolutely horrible. So I decided to keep reading. And when I think back, some of my favorite books were ones that built slow, establishing solid characters - ones that stick with me to this day. I'm about halfway through. And it's a good, solid book so far. 

So that is what is going on in my world. That and planning an Frozen-themed party for a certain girl who is turning five in a mere two weeks. Five! I can't even believe it!
Check back in later this month to see the huge, kick-ass Olaf balloon. 


4 comments:

  1. You. Look. So. Freaking. AMAZING!!! I am so impressed by your commitment, especially with three little ones demanding your attention :) You look so strong!

    We must share a brain, we're also taking a no-kids trip in March, to the Bahamas! I've been using MyFitnessPal and getting good results, but I gained 48 pounds with Wes and that will NOT be gone by March ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Compliments are always appreciated. haha I am trying to focus more on the "strong" part vs the number on the scale. I've reached a point where I sometimes wish I could go to a gym so I could learn how to lift some weights too.

      I am so excited that you guys are also taking an adults-only trip too! On my rough days, I just picture myself on the beach with a drink in hand and everything is magically better. (Okay, maybe it isn't, but it helps for a few moments.) What is your trip? A resort? Cruise? I expect a full blog post about its fabulousness later!

      Delete
  2. Vanessa, that pic of you in your old clothes... INSANE! You look so great! Print that out and keep it as motivation. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina! I appreciate the compliment. :) Looking back now, I wish I would have taken a "before" pic. (And stored it in a completely safe location. lol) Finding motivators has been huge. My sister is also losing weight and we Snapchat each other pictures after workouts or of our healthy meals to keep the other accountable too. It's hard to see the progress every day in the mirror, but trying on old clothes definitely makes it more real!

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.