Sunday, January 5, 2014

oh, how they grow

We haven't done much of note lately, and I feel like that's a good thing. I don't need a jam-packed calendar to feel like all is right with the world. 
Plus cold weather makes me lazy.
Like stay at home and just watch movies in our jammies lazy.
 

The days seem to blend together in this mesh of routine mixed with newness.
Graham almost running now.
Avery dressing independently.
Bailey talking of weddings and forcing her sister to marry her in a lavish ceremony on our stair landing.
 
How is it that things can seem to never change, but at the same time change all too quickly?
 
 
Sometimes I just look at her and I can't define what I feel.
 
It's this strange mixture of things.
I am sure every parent - every mom - has felt it.
Still feels it.
It can't just be me.
 
Pride in seeing them grow - learning new things, achieving new successes.
And utter sadness to feel them move another inch closer to adulthood. Another step separating them from the baby-ness they used to encompass, those days when they looked to you to fulfill every one of their needs.  A giant leap from that day years ago when you gave birth to the sweetest 7 (or 10...) pounds that ever existed.

I see her concentration on the picture she is creating.
I see her independence in the two hair clips erratically placed in her hair.
I see her father's eyes.
I see her growing up so quickly.


Graham turned one just a little over a month ago. It was the first 1st birthday party where I haven't already been pregnant again.
It's official: We are leaving the baby days behind us.
No more anticipation of another little person in the house again.

It's a bit strange...
We've been so focused on growing and building our family and now we have it.
It's complete.
We now shift our focus to completely enjoying the three little people who are such a part of us.
Anticipating future meal times without that crumb-collecting highchair.
Dreaming of vacations without pack-n-plays and a suitcase full of diapers. 
Looking forward to a time when our days aren't planned around important naps that shouldn't be missed.
Watching them grow and grow and grow. 
Because seriously, oh, how they grow.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww I LOVE this post!!
    Love every bit of it! And no, you are most definitely not alone!!!
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.