Thursday, February 9, 2012

My biggest pet peeve

I am annoyed. {Maybe I should stop watching the news because what makes me annoyed quite often these days is highlighted frequently on the Today show.}

Hearing about the One Million Moms campaign against Ellen DeGeneres as J.C.Penney's spokesperson just made me roll my eyes to the n-th degree. 

Apparently the campaign vows to "protect children from the filth many segments of our society, especially the media, are throwing at American children." 

And really, that sounds pretty smart. There is a lot of trashy stuff on TV these days that I don't want my kids to watch.

But where does the "filth" fit into the equation with Ellen? Clearly I don't know her personally, but from what I can tell (which is just as much as these protesters can tell also) she seems like a nice, likeable person. She has a popular television talk show where she dances and tells jokes and chats lightheartedly with people. There isn't profanity on her show. I have never seen her content really be all that questionable. Obviously gay people are super offensive to American children, right?? Ugh....  Did One Million Moms campaign against Sears for allowing the Kardashians to have a clothing line with them? After all, the only thing Kim is famous for (besides being famous) is her sex tape. Now THAT fits more clearly into the whole "filth" definition to me...

My first thought when I heard about One Million Moms:
"They really need a hobby."

But apparently hate and bigotry CAN be a hobby! Yay! Finally I can stop blogging and cleaning the house and devote my time to perpetuating inequality and teaching my children that they should never, ever have to be exposed to anyone who might be different than them. Thank God! And the best part is that it is so easy to do! It's never been easier to anonymously send messages of intolerance.

I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I know some people think homosexuals are immoral and are automatically going to hell. I do not. One of my closest friends is gay and he is probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He has values and friends and family that love him.

And here it is. My biggest pet peeve:  People who use religion to perpetuate intolerance or hate.

Is this the message some people are hearing in church on Sundays?
"Go ahead. Judge your neighbor. Don't worry about kindness or treating others how you would like to be treated. Don't worry about your own sins, being gay is way worse."

I learned a lot of messages in Sunday school growing up. We learned about being nice to others. We learned about trusting in God. We learned tolerance and acceptance. We learned that we should forgive. We learned that God would be the only one to stand in judgment of us. {But I was raised Methodist, maybe y'all were learning something else...}

There is nothing wrong with believing what you want to believe, but is campaigning like this really doing any good? I just think there has to be better ways to set an example for America's children than spending your time mailing letters to companies to stop airing ads during Modern Family (which, p.s., is a damn good show). Go volunteer at an after-school program or food bank or something. 

[Side note: Modern Family shows three different "modern" families, one of which happens to be a gay couple. The show is a comedy, but at its core is the love and respect between all of the family members. And why is watching this harmful to my children again?....]

Okay, I think my rant is over. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to disagree with me or even join One Million Moms. Just be careful: the feeling of superiority and bitchiness just oozes from their website.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! Agree wholeheartedly. May share this with some students. I have had most of those thoughts....wish I could put it together that nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And feel free to share away. :) I think a lot of people feel this way, but what gets heard in the media is the chatter of the people always saying the negative stuff. I could have gone on for days, but I thought I should stop before my rant got out of control!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.