Thursday, October 17, 2013

Grandpa Norm

Jared's grandpa Norm moved in with Jesus today.

We knew it was coming. Just yesterday his condition rapidly deteriorated. His death didn't come as a shock to anyone.
It is actually a relief.
Norm is now relieved of his suffering.
He is relieved of his pain.
He is relieved of all the burdens of his earthly life.




I didn't know Norm very well.  And honestly, I don't know if Jared ever truly did either.
He seemed to be a man of little words, at least whenever I was around.
He was independent and opinionated (because when you hit 80, the filter is gone... and I can't wait for the I -am-old-so-I-can-say-what-I-want excuse.) 
He wasn't a hugger - although I got a few out of him to Jared's shock.
He was of a different generation where sometimes the I love you's were a bit harder to say.
I think he showed his love in deeds rather than words, helping Cathy remodel her bathroom or fixing up Jared's old trikes for our kids to ride. {Good work on the trikes, Norm. They love-love-love them.}


And while out of our three kids, he only got to meet Bailey, Jared could tell he enjoyed seeing her. I am glad Norm got to see Jared and Bailey again one last time this past summer.

In a week or so we will be traveling to Colorado for the funeral. We have never been back as a family of 5. Heck, we haven't even been back as a family of 4, so this visit is long overdue. And while it isn't the best of reasons to visit, I know the kids will enjoy seeing Gramma Cathy and giving her lots of hugs and kisses to cheer her up.

Rest in peace, Norm.
I hope you are enjoying your first night in your new place.
From what I hear, it's pretty fabulous.

1 comment:

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.