Thursday, June 26, 2014

summertime blogging catch-up

The past week or so has been full of ordinary and some not-so-ordinary, mostly good, some bad. And it's random, which seems to be my M.O. lately.

The girls spent last Friday in Omaha with Aunt Beaner. They ate food I refuse to cook for them (boxed mac & cheese) and hung out, getting spoiled by their aunt of course. They went swimming, ate ice cream, and played with bubbles. All of which they can do at our house, but it is much more fun when it's with your aunt. 



Aunt Beaner reported minimal fighting and only one incident in which a larger elementary school aged boy jumped on Avery in the pool, causing the lifeguard to jump from his post and "rescue" Avery.  Minor near "drowning" experience aside, the trip was a complete success.

While the girls were gone, Graham got some one-on-one time with not only Mommy and Daddy, but Grandma Sherri and Papa as well - which never happens. 

He also took advantage of Avery's absence and got some good use out of her pink cowboy (cowgirl?) boots.

This past weekend was the funeral of Nick Hildreth - someone I have known since he started kindergarten with my sister Felicia. He married a classmate of mine and they lived here in our small town. He passed away unexpectedly in an electrical accident and left behind a wife and four children. Funerals like that are gut-wrenching. To see the devastation on the faces of his parents and wife, not to mention their kids, it's just horrible. 28 is just way too young...

And while living in a small town can sometimes be well... annoying - everybody knows your business, everybody talks about your business - I think that in this case living in a small town will be a blessing. People in a small town care. They might be all up in your business at times, but they want to help. 

Funerals like that one make you think about what is important in life and what would be left behind if you died right here, right now, today. Family is the legacy you leave and I am grateful to be able to spend so much time with mine.


And speaking of family, we went out and bombarded visited my grandma Connie and grandpa Lyle this morning. The usual coffee time and what-not.

Bailey knows right where to look for Great Grandma's snack stash.
Bring on the cookies!

We couldn't get out of the house without bows. Bailey and Avery needed bows with their ponytails. 
And Graham is not going to be left out. 
He stood at the door yelling "Bow!" at the top of his lungs and would not be silenced. So I let him pick his bow too, placed it in his hair, and the miraculously the yelling ceased. We could finally leave the house. 




Checking out the corn which is doing really well in our parts - just enough rain but no flooding like so many other farmers have to deal with.
And while I know people think Iowa and think boring, boring, boring -
I truly love Iowa. 
I love the green of the fields right now. It's green as far as the eye can see. And I love to watch the corn wave back and forth with the wind. It's the farm girl in me. I used to go on walks down our gravel road growing up and loved just looking at all the green as I walked. I think it is beautiful. I'm always going to think it is beautiful. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to have them come stay again! I love the green, too. I miss that living in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls looked like they loved hanging with their auntie Cat! Fun for sure! Even if you did feed them Mac-n-Cheese ... it wouldn't be the same haha And personal opinion? G's rockin the hiz-niz out of that pink bow :) Grandma Connie looks super sweet btw. And I'm not a farm girl, but I have so much appreciation for that kind of stuff. Living outside of Great Bend, I always enjoyed the ride back and forth from Great Bend to Claflin with driving through Cheyenne Bottoms. And like you with corn, there is something about a full grown crop of wheat that I find soothing. The way it smells and sways in the wind. Just really love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.