Saturday, October 25, 2014

30 Things

So earlier this week I turned the big 3-0.

Not nearly as intimidating and horrifyingly old as my 16 year-old self imagined. Life is good, even if I am now old...

I thought I might make a list of 30 random facts about me to commemorate my 30 years of age.


Here we go.

1. Favorite foods: (of course that is plural - I love food.)
Bacon. 
Skippy creamy peanut butter.
My mother-in-law Cathy's chicken salad.
German chocolate cake with buttercream frosting.
Reese's peanut butter pumpkins/trees/hearts/eggs.

2. I was voted "most opinionated" by my high school class. 
"I was so surprised," said no one.

3. I like gross stuff. Probably goes with the nursing territory. Gnarly wounds. Pimples that need squeezed. Remember that YouTube video of the guy that had a zit-looking thing popped on his back and it basically erupted like Old Faithful for for five minutes straight? Yeah, fascinating to me.

4. I love to recycle.

5. My favorite date with Jared was a random, unplanned one. We went to a hole-in-the-wall bar on a random Sunday night. We ordered bar food and a pitcher of beer. Karaoke started and we ended up being asked to sing a song. We apparently livened up this dive bar so much that suddenly drink after drink was arriving at the table - on the house, which of course fueled our fabulous singing. What was supposed to be a quick supper turned into 6 hours spent singing with strangers.

6. I mow the lawn while singing loudly. I pray my neighbors can't hear me over the noise of the mower. And sometimes I forget to stop after I cut the engine. Whoops.

7. I still wear a t-shirt that I got in 6th grade. 
 Tri-County All-stars. 
I am not sure I will ever get rid of it.

8. My sisters jokingly call me The English Teacher because I love to proofread and edit things. 

9. I hate learning new technology-related things. (I know, I am so deserving of old person jokes.) I don't want to learn a new program to upload photos to the computer. I don't want a new keyboard on my phone for texting. I am becoming a geezer. And while I'm at it, get off of my lawn!

10. My sisters are my best friends. Seriously, what do women do without sisters? No one else would put up with my shit, I swear. 
There's that All Stars t-shirt again...
11. Aforementioned sisters and I are considering getting (small) matching tattoos. None of us know what it will even consist of, but we are currently in talks.

12. My dream vacation is going to Europe with Jared. True, I have already been, but I look forward to seeing it with Jared. And I am sure the experience would be completely different, especially since I wouldn't be 17 years old and in pizza-at-least-once-a-day carb coma.

13. I once fought back against a bully by punching him in the face. 
I was in 5th grade. 
He deserved it.
Most fulfilling detention ever.

14. If you are one of those people who constantly misuses your/you're, their/there/they're, to/too/two, etc and shows no interest in learning the difference, we probably can't be friends. At least not friends that write things to each other. And don't get me started on people who write entire blog posts using zero capitalization... Ugh!
The two on my left are still two of my besties even now, 25 years later...

15. I like the F word way more than is socially acceptable.

16. When reading a magazine or newspaper in a waiting room, I always flip to the advice sections first. 
Dear Abby. 
Emily Post.
"Can this marriage be saved?" 
All that stuff. 
It's my inner therapist.

17. I am a total night owl. But oddly, I am still way more of a morning person than my husband ever will be. 

18. When a person tells me that freckles are "angel kisses", I do not hold in my eye roll. Ever. 
(The take-away here: please don't ever utter that corny crap in my presence.)
19. I love fall. 
The weather, pretty trees, autumn-scented candles... but Halloween is just not my fave. I know I should care about costumes and dressing-up my kids, but I just kinda don't. Like I mean, I am always going to do it, but I never ever ever going to be a mom who sews costumes or throws down $150 (or more) to outfit my three kids for one night. (Because I think that is redic.) 
And I come by this honestly - my mom never gave a crap about Halloween either. I had last second costumes, and I am pretty sure every year Mom just said, "Go find something in the Halloween tub." It's fine though. Farm kids are basically used to raising themselves during the month of October.

20. I have become a crier. Since having kids, something snapped in the emotions department. Daily I am crying at something, whether it is a sweet commercial or the Today Show.

21. I notice eyebrows. Some people notice teeth (Fe, Jared, my friend Kate). Some notice eye color. Some notice clothes. I notice eyebrows. And if you're one of those people who over-tweezes and has barely half an eyebrow left, that is the first thing my brain is gonna notice.

22.  I was a huge perfectionist in high school when it came to grades. One time I got a B+ and it ruined my 4.0 GPA. When my mom tried to assure me that a B was still a good grade, I shouted in all my teenage, overdramatic angst, "B's are the devil!" All three of my sisters witnessed it, and trust me, they will never let me live it down. 

23. Both Jared and I want to live on an acreage. Annnnnd here we are living on Main Street. *sigh* Someday...

24. I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. Yeah, yeah, it sucks, but I am used to it, so whatever. Please take note of these tips so you don't piss off a Type 1 diabetic in your life. 

25. I had a pet pig growing up. Not like a guinea pig - we are talking a full grown hog. His name was Percy and he was a straight up pet. He knew the sound of my voice. He liked head scratches. I bawled nightly for 2 weeks after he went to slaughter. And this is yet another story that my sisters harass me for. (They're so mean, right?!)

26. I always wanted a nickname. My sisters all have at least one. 
Felicia = Fe, FeFe, FeDogg (cuz she was a ghetto wannabe back in the day)
Catrina = Beaner, Beans
Justina = Justy, Buggy
And then there is me. Vanessa
Bah....
27. I can quote word-for-word the entire movie Billy Madison.

28. I watch too many TV shows. And I have way too many favorites. Game of Thrones, The Blacklist, Breaking BadModern Family, Masters of Sex, Outlander, Elementary, Downton Abbey... The internet has made it way too easy for us to binge watch tons of shows and then get addicted.

29. I am a card sender. I pride myself on remembering people's birthdays and sending a card. There is just something special about getting real mail these days.

30. I am fashion challenged. I never know what looks good, and we don't have the money for me to purchase lots of pieces to spice up my wardrobe. So I basically end up wearing lots of solid colors (ie: boring) and throwing on some jewelry to spice it up. And at home I live in workout pants and t-shirts, but at least it is a small upgrade from the nursing tanks I lived in up until 6 months ago. 


So that's it. Thirty items about my thirty year-old self. 
Many thanks if you made it this far.
You know you're thrilled that you now know the name of my childhood pet pig.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I loved reading through this Vanessa! I hear you about sisters. I have 3 also (and one poor brother) and they're the best. I love your childhood photos, especially your hardcore one with your sisters lol. Happy 30th dear... doesn't it make you feel old? Next thing you know it's 40 and we still think we're 26.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with your Happy Face birthday photo...so funny that Holly and I are both in it. Also, why did you let me go on with my train wreck eyebrows for so long?? Not cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.