Thursday, September 26, 2013

Seriously parents?!

Have you seen this story?

To sum it up, Brian Holloway (an ex-NFL player) had his 2nd home in New York broken into by over 300 teenagers. The kids threw a party, caused over $20,000 in damage, stole items, and posted pictures of it all on every available social media outlet.
He in turn created the website Help Me Save 300, posting pictures of the guilty parties in all their Twitter and Facebook glory.

Here is the kicker:
some of the kids' parents are suing HIM for defamation for "bullying" the very teens that broke the law by trashing his house!

Never mind the fact that these kids took pictures of themselves doing drugs and peeing on the carpet.
Forget the fact that they willingly tweeted their location along with photos of them stealing.
Those poor teens!
The big, bad man posted all the photos they took themselves!
Oh no, someone might hold them accountable for their actions!

Seriously, parents? What kind of crap "parenting" is this?
Your child literally documents all their illegal activity and you go after the man who pointed out what they did wrong?!
What is wrong with people?!

After posting this website and asking for those who did the damage to come forward and help him clean up the property, all of one person showed up. One person.
I personally can guarantee that if my parents had caught me doing some crap like this:
1) I wouldn't be able to sit for a week,
2) I would be out there scrubbing walls and carpets and apologizing till I was red in the face, and
3) It would be bye-bye social media until Twitter and Facebook lost all relevance.
And in my opinion, that is how it should be.

I realize parents can't totally control their kids' behavior. They are kids. They are going to make bad decisions and act like irresponsible jerks at one time or another, no matter how awesome of a parent you are. But you are the adult. You have the responsibility of being the PARENT when these things happen.
Parents are supposed to teach lessons, guide their kids, help them realize there are consequences to their actions. It isn't your job as a parent to be your child's best friend or defend their actions even when they're 100% in the wrong.
I know I am not perfect and I am going to make lots of parenting mistakes, but I guarantee I can do a hell of a lot better than this.


*And if you read Brian Holloway's website, it shows he is asking for donations to help with the clean-up. I also read that the house might have been in foreclosure and he is planning to use said donations to help pay off the house. Seems a little sketchy to me, but that is neither here nor there.

The point is that these kids screwed up, and instead of their parents teaching them a valuable life lesson, they filed a stupid lawsuit instead.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Regardless of whether or not the house was already kind of "trashy" and on the foreclosure list, the hundreds of kids that partied there need to be held accountable for their actions. They trespassed, vandalized, and burglarized someone's home. AND posted the proof on social media. Makes the parents that are suing him look awful silly if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.