Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tired

That one word basically sums up how I have felt the past two or so weeks.

Our independent little 2 year-old has decided that it is unnecessary to sleep past 6:30 AM. Ever. And in fact, some days it is quite important to wake up at 5:30. Isn't that awesome? And another added bonus is that when she decides it is time to get up, apparently everyone must wake up, including her little sister. Avery is not much of a morning person and hasn't appreciated the early wake-up call that is Bailey yelling "Mom-meee!" from behind the baby gate at their door.

Now 6:30 or even 5:30 might not seem bad to some unfortunate parents, but I have been spoiled over the course of this past year or so. The usual wake-up time was around 8:00. My way of thinking is, if the Today Show isn't even on yet, there is absolutely no reason for me to be awake. Adding this recent change along with the fact that most days naps are a huge struggle for Bailey (ie: she won't take one) and I am just exhausted.

But then came today... I woke up to the sound of "Mom-meee!" per usual, but this time I didn't mutter expletives under my breath. My eyes actually opened pretty easily and I didn't have the split second thought of hiding under the covers and pretending I hadn't heard anything. This was unusual.
I looked at the clock:
                           8:28                      
Hallelujah!

I can't tell you what a difference two hours of extra sleep made in my day. It was like a sweet little present first thing in the morning. I have so much more patience today. I don't feel the constant desire to climb on the couch for a quick nap so I can forget about the laundry that needs folded and the floor that needs swept.
It's amazing.

I don't know why pregnancy feels different this time around, but it does. With the Bailey I was tired for the first trimester and then, like you are always told, I got my energy back. With Avery, I didn't feel tired at all. Now, I am well into the second trimester and just more tired with every day that passes. Maybe it's that I have two children now. Or the fact that their naps are a luxury some days. Or maybe I am just being a big baby.

Our "big" ultrasound is in about 3 weeks and I find myself getting a little nervous about it. Not nervous because I want a boy or a girl. (We aren't finding out and I don't have a preference anyway.) I am just remembering how nerve wracking it was when we were anxiously watching the ultrasound tech measure and record everything during Avery's ultrasound. I could barely breathe. In fact I was holding my breath without even meaning to. I was just so worried they would find a cleft like Bailey had or something worse. {Pregnancy definitely brings out the worry wart in me.}

With this pregnancy we are at a different hospital with a different doctor and different ultrasound techs. The ultrasound tech was sympathetic to us last time and gave us hints during the exam that everything was normal. We only waited about 5 minutes for the doctor to come in and tell us everything looked great. We don't have that convenience this time. I had to schedule an appointment for two whole days later to find out the results because the doctor doesn't read the ultrasounds in the office - they send them out to a radiologist. The 5 minute wait with Avery seemed like a long time. Two days is going to feel like forever. Seriously, is that normal?? Doesn't everyone usually find out that same day?

I really miss The Nebraska Medical Center when it comes to this whole pregnancy thing. I felt like they respected my opinion and they actually knew me. They acknowledged I was working hard to maintain awesome blood sugars and was taking the possible care of myself. I don't necessarily know that it's the same this time. This doctor rubbed me wrong from the start by hinting that my blood sugars weren't under control. I assured him that I have done this twice before and that my levels were not just good, but great. {Honestly, I have been a type 1 diabetic for 10 years now, I know how this whole things works...} He was doubtful and gave me the typical diabetics and pregnancy spiel.

At my last appointment we discussed my sugars and I guaranteed my lab would be under 6. He wasn't so sure. Low and behold, my A1c came back at 5.7 and he even wrote "Awesome!" beside the labs results mailed to me. And for that I would like to throw a big "I told you so" in his direction. (FYI for non-medical people, 6.5 or lower is the usual goal for diabetics and 6.0 is considered a normal number for non-diabetics.) So I probably sound like I am tooting my own horn, and I guess I am. Because it is a lot of hard work to be pregnant in general and being diabetic adds a whole new dimension.

Okay, so this was a very random post about very loosely related topics... Right now I am going to go enjoy the peace and quiet in our house. It never lasts for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.