Friday, July 20, 2012

loss

Today my aunt Kim passed away.
She was only 51 years old.

Her death wasn't expected. She hadn't been feeling well the past few months and had been to see many different doctors at quite a few different hospitals. No one could give her an answer to what was going on. Then earlier this week she started feeling worse and was admitted to a hospital in Des Moines. It didn't seem to be anything extremely serious at the time, but overnight she took a turn for the worse. Kim's organs began to shut down and she was placed on a ventilator. Family was called to be by her side. She passed away early this morning.

Kim was married to my uncle Marty, my dad's younger brother. I can't say that we were ever close. When I was younger, my aunt and uncle and my parents didn't get along for a variety of reasons. Then about 2 or 3 years ago, they started to mend fences. I don't know what prompted it, especially after being at odds for a good 20 years, but it happened. And gradually relationships were repaired. And maybe this is the reason why. I believe that God knew they would need each other for support, in this instance and in days and years to come...

Kim and Marty have two children, my cousins - Jay and Kayla. Jay is 23 and will be starting a job in Omaha working as an engineer. Kayla is just 19 and recently finished her first year of college. I can't imagine how hard this must be. Marty has lost his partner, the person he pictured growing old with. And while you're probably never "old enough" to lose your mother, being 23 and 19 just seems so unfair. Throughout childhood you picture your mom moving you into your first place, helping you plan your wedding, and meeting her grandchildren. And even though she won't be there physically for these events, I know she will still be there. She must be so proud of her kids and all they have achieved so far.


It seems impossible to understand why things like this have to happen.
The phrase "everything happens for a reason" just isn't of much comfort in moments like this.
The only thing I can take away from this is that
Life Is Short.

Don't take it for granted.
Spend an afternoon reading that book that's been lying on your desk for months.
Get down on the floor and play with your kids.
Take that vacation you've always talked of going on "someday."  
     Make "someday" today.

I ask everyone to please say a prayer for their family.
Say a prayer to help them get through the long days, weeks, months, and even years ahead while they are missing the wife and mother they love so very much.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry Vanessa! Man, seems like so much saddness lately and my heart hurts for everyone. I detest the saying "everything happens for a reason" as it seems like I've heard that million times and makes NOTHING better ever.

    I really pray that everyone can come together and be there for one another. There really isn't anything anyone can say that will make things better, but being there and helping will hopefully lessen everyones pain.

    I hope today is a new day for you all!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.