Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Getting Crafty

In general I am not much of a crafty person. My brain usually doesn't come up with ideas on its own, so I am much better off just following simple instructions.

I saw this idea in a magazine my mom gave me and decided to take the time to make it. It's simple (aka I was able to do it) and very cheap.

Fabric-Wrapped Wreath
 ~ patriotic style  ~

You need a few basic items:



*12 inch round foam floral/craft ring
* scissors
* ruler
* 6 inch length of floral wire (not pictured)

Then you choose fabric (use scraps if possible) in 7-10 different patterns.
I used 7 because that is what I had. {And by what "I" had I really mean what my mom and grandma had. I don't exactly sew. See above description of uncrafty-ness.} The more patterns you use, the tighter you should keep the color palette.

Cut the fabric into ten 14"x 1.5" strips per pattern.


Then taking the fabric strip, loop it around the ring, right side out, and tie in a double knot at the front. Continue doing this in order of the fabrics, staggering the placement of the knots, until all are used. Every so often bunch the fabric together so the ring doesn't show. For the final step, loop the floral wire through the fabric on the back of the wreath to create a hanger. Trim any loose threads and you're all done!

The final product:


It would look much better hanging on a wall, but I forgot to buy the previously mentioned floral wire...


You could use the same idea to make a different themed wreath - Christmas, Easter, Halloween, or even just pretty colors that look good together.

Not bad for only costing $4.79 to make!




1 comment:

  1. Dang girl! You rocked this project! I freakin' love this!!!! I'm thinkin' this will be on the "to-do list" for Halloween or heck, maybe just a fall themed one! Sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.