Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Getting Away

I love having something to look forward to. Before Jared and I had kids, we would plan vacations. It gave us something to look forward to during a particularly hellish day/week/month at work. It was extra motivation to pick up a bonus shift or two.
Now it is rare for us to have more than a few hours alone; unheard of since Graham came along. {That needy little baby...}

So I am particularly excited about the month of April.

For one, I will be reuniting in Kansas City with my hometown friends:
Holly, Shelby, Sarah, and Kevin.
 
It will be a girls' weekend {Kevin's words}.
And while it is actually only one night since both Holly and I have newborns, I am still psyched for it. It will be a much-needed break from my never-ending routine around here.
Plus, a certain little man can't attempt to nurse on me if I am hours away.
Hooray!

I love my kids dearly, but they are tiring.
And while I really do love the baby stage, there are moments when I am in the same recliner every evening for a 2-3 hour stretch, unable to move with a little boy latched onto me where I literally feel like I just need to do something else - anything else!
Forget restless leg syndrome, it is more like restless body. I just feel claustrophobic.
I think a good 24 hours away will help me feel refreshed. {Usually the word "refreshed" doesn't apply to a night spent drinking and eating way too much while sleeping too little, but it just might in this case.}


And then a few weeks later, my three sisters and I will be meeting up in Des Moines for a night.
Yay!

{one of my faves of all time. doing what we do best: laughing}
 
Jared was given two vouchers for a free night's stay while he was in Des Moines for training last April. We used one of them ourselves back last June for our anniversary {story here}, so we still have one remaining free stay.
Jared - being the wonderful husband that he is - suggested I use the voucher and meet up with my sisters for some shopping and a night away. And believe me, I jumped on that offer!

I know some women probably don't think a night hanging out with their sisters sounds that amazing, but I definitely do. I love my sisters. As much as we can piss each other off, they are my best friends. Each of us knows exactly what to do or say to crack the other one up. Throw in a million inside jokes and old family stories - along with some beer and vodka - and you have the makings for a really good time.
Oh, and food.   
It wouldn't be fun for Felicia if we weren't planning on some delicious food, too.

4 comments:

  1. Yay I can't wait for our sisters' weekend! It is going to be a blast! Except if BK is involved.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO pumped. Maybe we can have a beer chugging contest using coffee pots?? No matter what I am sure we are going to have a "good time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only chug beer out of coffee pots if Alan and Matt are around. It just wouldn't feel right without them.

      Delete
  3. Omg! I want to come -- can I just be you for a hot second??!!!

    Everything you wrote -- both "trips" -- sound DEVINE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.