Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day weekend

This past weekend was random.
I can't ever remember thinking of Memorial Day weekend as anything too special. Growing up in Iowa, nine times out of ten the weather isn't overly warm so it ends up just being another day. One without school and mail.

On Saturday Graham turned 6 months old.
How fast did that go?

We took our monthly picture.
I wanted to get it out of the way in the morning before I forgot entirely in the hustle and bustle of the rest of the day. He appeared to still be half-asleep.
I meant to take some more... Always good intentions...

 
 He had to take a particularly important phone call mid-shoot.
I think it was either Barney or Ariel calling.

Later in the day we headed to Lytton's Gala Days celebration.
Only it ended up being a pretty big bust.
 
Due to the hours upon hours of constant downpouring, the parade was canceled. Believe me I had some bummed little ladies on my hands.
The weather did clear up some, or at least the rain stopped, and we were able to head in after lunch and attend the kiddie races.

Avery got 3rd place (out of three).
Now if only Beaner would have shouted, "Avery, let's change your diaper!" I bet she would have won by a freakin' landslide. It always works at home.

Bailey ran in her race too, achieving 2nd place and a whole 2 tickets to purchase half of a ride on the elephants.

Speaking of the elephants, we took Avery on her very first carnival ride.
The elephants.
Of course in typical Jeff Ellis fashion we talked the carnie into giving Catrina and me a free ride (seriously, they make adults pay to ride that crap with their kids) and settle for a ticket or two less for the girls' rides.
{Now if my children had taken their athletic pursuits of the day a little more seriously, I wouldn't have had to wheel and deal with carnies!}



Avery LOVED it.
She laughed and laughed the entire time, her hands clamped tight on the safety bar. One of the best parts of being a parent is experiencing these adventures anew through the eyes of your kids, even if this particular adventure was a ride in a dirty plastic elephant that slowly moved up and down.

The rest of the weekend was less than spectacular.
Jared is working 6 days out of 7 right now, so he wasn't awake much. And his few awake hours were spent cleaning our flooded basement.
Seriously Iowa, can't we just have some middle ground between an absolute drought one year and a borderline flood the next?

Graham had his first taste of non-milk food.
Sweet potatoes to be exact.
He did great!
I decided to skip cereal this time around, prompted by some articles I read about it being unnecessary, especially in breastfed babies. I actually make my own baby food. And if you're interested you can read just how easy it is on this blog post from a while back. Seriously, it's easy. And cheap.

So there it is - our exciting parade-less Memorial Day weekend. Thank God for those elephants, they really made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.