Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ringing in 2013

My sweet New Year's Eve celebration:
a cranky one month-old boy.
a small glass of delicious wine (good pick, Beaner!).
DVR'ed episodes of random TV shows.
a husband that wimped out on me by 11 o'clock.

Lackluster. to say the least.

I didn't even see the ball drop.
Graham finally gave in to sleep around 11:20 and I decided I should take my sleep when I can get it. And good thing I did.
I technically did see the new year in as I was awake trying to console my fussy baby. In fact, I probably got as much sleep as those out celebrating and having a good time. But sadly two hours of sleep is a little bit cooler to talk about when you were out drinking and dancing the night away.

2012 was a good year for us - full of big changes.
I found out I was pregnant.
We moved.
Both of us took new jobs.
We moved again.
We had a baby.
And we finally are no longer homeowners.

It sounds pretty simple when I list it all out like that, but really, there was a lot of stress involved.

For 2013, I am happy to be settled.
We are in our house to stay. Our newest little addition is healthy (and usually happy). We no longer have to worry about selling our house. We can enjoy just being.

I am not big on resolutions.
Obviously I want to lose the rest of the baby weight, but I am not even going to make a resolution about it. I have a one month-old and there is a lot of snow on the ground: I am clearly not going to exercise... And yes, I need to stop with the Christmas candy. But I can't  let it go to waste! I will not - I repeat, will not! - do that to a delicious Reese's tree. Soon it will be gone and then I can start being good, right?

One resolution I do want to make: keeping a gratitude journal.
Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds all Oprah-y. But I was watching some news shows the last few days and they listed a gratitude journal/list as an easy and effective way to improve your outlook and attitude on life.
And as a mom to 3 kids under 3, I think I could really use that.

All it requires is writing down 3 things every single day that you are grateful for. I think it sounds like a good exercise in teaching myself to notice the small things again. I hope it can help me focus on what I do have in my life versus focusing on the negative or what I wish was different. Because when it comes down to it, I have a lot to be thankful for. And while I know that, it is always good to have a reminder. Plus it will be an easy resolution to keep.

Hopefully other people had a more exciting New Year's Eve than me. In fact I know they did because I am bombarded with fun-looking pictures on Facebook.
Maybe next year I will get my New Year's kiss.
Between work and babies, it's been a few years.    [Damn we are old...]

1 comment:

  1. Same here on the NY kiss! haha We made it to about 11:30pm, crawled into bed and INSTANTLY fell asleep with no kissy-kiss :( We drank a bottle of champs bt the 2 of us -- which was only about 2 glasses a pc -- and we BOTH felt hungover the next morning!!! what??? hahaha WE are the old ones!!! haha

    Oh well! And yea, I'm not big on resolutions -- don't feel like ppl really keep them although I'm sure the intentions are there and good -- but this year I did make a few that I feel like are pretty necessary. Mostly about attitude, gratitude (like you), having passion about life again so forth...think most people need that.

    Yesterday of course was a wonderful challenge as I expected. I broke our scentsy that was on and all melty all over the hardwood floors and it was such a pain to clean up. I didn't get mad, didn't cuss, didn't do anything but start cleaning it up and laugh at myself. I thought surely Justin was going to come home cranky about the floors but he didn't either. Crisis adverted haha Might sound small and silly, but I think its the little things that set me off the most sometimes because its like I have the big stuff to worry about as it is!

    Here's to great memories, lots of fun and healthy this year! I hope we all make it a grand one!!

    PS -- yes, your yrs list sounds simple-ish but it sooooooooo was not! When you write it out, its like "geez, thats it?" but theres so much that goes into that and NOBODY should have to move twice in a year! YUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.