Friday, October 19, 2012

A Night in L&D

It's a good thing we didn't have any plans last night.

Starting in the early afternoon I was having a lot of constant Braxton-Hicks contractions that seemed to not let up. I was writing a blog post while the girls and Jared napped and I didn't think much of it. By the time Jared got up at 2, I had been pretty uncomfortable for about an hour. I continued to do small things around the house until about 3:30 when I noticed my back was really achy and I was having the contractions pretty regularly. They were coming every 3 minutes and my blood sugar was over 370. (Normal is less than 120.) After sitting on the couch for a good hour and a half, the contractions stayed the same and my blood sugar wasn't coming down. Ugh.

So I called my doctor's office and they told me to do all the things I had been doing for the past hour and a half: rest, put my feet up, drink fluids, check my blood sugar. When they heard my blood sugar wasn't coming down, they insisted I come in.

So off we went to L & D.

Jared and I both knew (okay, we were pretty sure) it wasn't real labor. I had this happen once at 34 weeks with Avery too. It seemed like the same thing. My blood sugars spiked out of the blue and fake contractions came with it.

Well, after getting a cervical check, peeing in a cup, getting my blood drawn, and having IV fluids started, they couldn't find anything wrong. No infection. Nothing. I just basically doubled up on my insulin for a few hours until it finally came back into normal range. Throughout all this Baby was on a monitor and doing fine.

Regardless, they decided to keep me overnight just to be on the safe side.

So I got to spend a fantastic evening in the L&D Motel.
I know I have definitely slept in worse places, but in those instances, I was not pregnant and definitely not sober. And getting comfortable in a hospital bed with a bowling bowl-sized stomach while attached to an IV is a challenge to say the least. Not the most restful night...

So while I am happy everything is fine and it was just a mild false alarm, I could really use a nap right about now.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness Hun! Yikes for the high BS! Like u said, I know your use to it with past things but still. So glad y'all are ok and baby is still cooking. Got me all excited there for a hot second!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely nothing to get excited about!!! I am very anxious for Baby to stay put for at least another 4 weeks. I would be happy with that since neither of my other two thought about hanging around inside much longer. I really don't want to go 3 for 3 with the NICU stays... No matter how short or long the stay, the NICU really blows (which you are more than well aware of I know...).

      And don't worry, I will send you a picture text to let you know of his/her arrival. :)

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, LOVE them.
So go ahead and let me know what you think.